Monday, April 26, 2010

Cashew Chicken

This original recipe came from the Saving Dinner book.  It was suggested to serve this with a Spinach Salad and rice.  I just added lots more veggies to the original recipe (only had 2 carrots and 1 stalk celery.)  This sounded like a stir fry which are usually heavier in veggies so I used more carrots, celery and added broccoli.  It could use more veggies with no problem, but I hadn't planned on it.  I just had some fresh broccoli that needed to be used.  Pea would also be good.  I also wanted a bit extra sauce so I upped the amount of orange juice in the sauce.  I also cut out a whole Tablespoon of oil because I used my pre-cooked chicken.  That also made it a quicker meal as well whick is always nice.   It turned out excellent.  There were no left overs because people had seconds.  Here is how I made it.


Ingredients
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon corn starch
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon oil
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • 4 medium carrots
  • 3 stalks celery, sliced
  • 2 cups chopped broccoli
  • 1 lb pre-cooked chicken (defrosted 2 minutes in microwave)
  • 1/2 cup cashews (original recipe had more)
  • 3 cups brown rice (I actually made this much to have left over for rice pudding in the morning, but I didn't end up with much more than the cunchy stuff on the bottom of the rice cooker.  :(
Directions
  1. In a bowl, combine juice, honey, soy sauce, corn starch, and seasonings.
  2. In a wok, heat oil, add veggies and stir-fry for several minutes until veggies are crisp-tender.    Add the chicken and break up a bit more if necessary. 
  3. Add sauce mixture and cook until sauce boils and thickens.  (Original recipe added cashews at this point, but Tavio complained, and I got to thinking about it and decided they would be better all salty and crunchy on top, so I didn't add them.)
  4. Serve over rice.  Sprinkle cashews over the top.  (I then mixed everything together on my plate because I had made more sauce purposely to cover the rice.)  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails