Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sour Cream and Chive Rolls

This recipe is from a Betty Crocker Spring Celebrations recipe magazine from 2001. We had actually planned on trying multiple recipes from this booklet, but only ended up trying the rolls and the salad. The others we were going to try were deviled eggs (but we had egg salad pitas for lunch so we didn't have hard boiled eggs left - nor did we need to eat more eggs.) We also thought of trying orange barbecue ham, but decided to just warm the ham with the included glaze because it was just easier.
These rolls were very different for me because the dough was sooooo sticky. I really had a difficult time trying to figure out how to get them out of the bowl and nicely into the muffin tins. I ended up using my green scraper - a tool I love and plan to write about in the next post.
These had a great flavor but were dry. I really think it was because they were overcooked.


Ingredients



  • 3/4 cup sour cream (I used 1/2 cup light and 1/4 cup fat free although my fat free had a better texture than my light -go figure)
  • 2 Tablespoons shortening (I used butter flavored)
  • 2 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
  • 1/3 cup very warm water
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons chopped fresh chives (just planted some in my garden I was so happy to use them.)

Directions

  1. Heat sour cream and shortening over medium heat, stirring frequently, until shortening is melted. Cool about 20 minutes or until lukewarm. (I let it cool too long because I was making other things so I added hot water too it and even put it back on the stove to warm back up a bit.)

  2. Mix 1 1/4 cups of the flour, the sugar, salt and yeast in a bowl. Add sour cream mix, water and egg. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining flour and chives until smooth. Crape batter from side of bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place about 30 minutes or until double.

  3. Grease 12 medium muffin cups. Stir down batter by beating about 25 strokes. Spoon into muffin cups. (Easier said than done. I sprayed my green scraper with cooking spray and cut the dough out that way. It worked well. That is what I did after spooning it out looked like it wouldn't work, and I tried greased hands and that didn't work.) Let rise uncovered 20 to 30 minutes or until it rounds over the top of the muffin tin.

  4. Bake at 400 for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. (15 made them a little more brown than I would have liked. I'd start with 12 next time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails