Thursday, April 22, 2010

cup o chocolate-coconut bread pudding

This is another hungry-girl recipe.  This is actually the first one I tried.  I have made myself various variations of this recipe. from trying to make it more chocolaty by adding 2 pouches of hot chocolate, to just making it with 2 eggs and regular hot chocolate for the kids.  I've also left the mini chips and marshmallows off the top and had it for breakfast.  Any way around it you can't really go wrong for 215 calories, 6 grams of fiber and 19 grams of protein.  I'd still like to find a way to have a better chocolate flavor.  For breakfast, this is great, but for dessert I'd like a bit more chocolate flavor.  I'm thinking of trying to make my own hot cocoa type of mix with cocoa powder, splenda, and powdered milk, but I have not had time to play with that.  If I do, I'll be sure to post it.  Right  now, I'd give them a 9/10.  What I want in flavor, they definitely make up for in ease.



Ingredients
  • 1 25-calorie packed diet hot cocoa mix (I think mine is 30 cal) (I just used regular for the kids)
  • dash salt (I have left this out)
  • 1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (I subbed out 2 eggs for the kids, but prefer the egg substitute)
  • 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
  • 2 slices light white bread (I like wheat white)
  • 1 teaspoon mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 10 marshmallows
Directions

Put bread in toaster.  Mix cocoa and salt in a glass.  Add 1/4 cup hot water and stir until cocoa has dissolved.   Add the egg substitute and coconut extract and stir.  Set aside. 
Spray a microwave-safe mug with cooking spray (don't forget this, these stick bad - the only real downside to the recipe.)  Tear bread into pieces and add to mug.  Top with cocoa mixture and mix to make sure all bread is coated.  Top with chips and marshmallows.
Microwave for 2 minutes and 15 seconds or until bread pudding it set.  (These puff up when they cook but shrink right back down as soon as they stop cooking.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails