Sunday, April 25, 2010

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

This recipe comes from my new Hungry Girl book.  I did end up modifying it, so I'm posting what I did.  First of all I wasn't planning to use canned chicken.  I use my pre-cooked.  I did use the amount called for.   This recipe had some parts that were vague.  Like is called for frozen bite-sized mixed veggies.  I debated on what type to add.  I went with a broccoli, corn and red pepper mix (thinking the corn and red pepper went well with the enchiladas.)  However the mix had a lot more broccoli than I expected, so I added more corn.  That ended up being a lot of veggies but oh well.  Next time I think I'd just add corn and some red pepper, or maybe red peppers and onion.  It also didn't say what size pan to use.  I started with a 9X13 because I was doubling the 4 serving recipe to make it family size, but that seemed too small for the tortillas.  I also subbed out part of the salsa for taco sauce. 
I have more thoughts for changes next time - I'd probably sub out 1 can cream of celery for 1 can cream of chicken, and I'd probably make do 1/2 and 1/2 with the salsa and taco sauce.  Here is how I made the casserole today.

Ingredients
  • 20 oz pre-cooked chicken, thawed
  • 2 cans cream of celery soup
  • 2 cups brocoli, red pepper, corn mix
  • 1/2 cup corn
  • 3/4 cup salsa
  • 1/4 cup taco sauce
  • 12 corn tortillas, cut into 1/8ths
  • 2 cups cheese - I used a mix of what I had - fat free cheddar, reduced fat monterrey jack, and regular colby jack
Directions
  1. Preheat overn to 350
  2. In a large bowl, mix chicken, soup, veggies, salsa, and taco sauce
  3. Spray a 9X13  baking dish with non-stick spray. (I actually used a 10X13, but 9X13 would have been better.)  Cover 1/2 the tortilla pieces.  Spread 1/2 of the chicken mixture over the tortilla pieces.  Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Repeat layers. 
  4.  Bake 35 minutes or until edges are brown and crispy.
  5. Allow to cool for 5 minutes until sauce thickens. 


I wrote this up before we ate it.  It turned out really good.  I probably wouldn't give it 5 star on taste for the brocolli today, but I'm giving it 5 star becasue the combination of the fact that it was so easy and I think would be 5 star with the following changes for next time:  Follow the same instructions but use these ingredients:

Ingredients
  • 1 package (about 1 lb) pre-cooked chicken
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (or pinto if you prefer)
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 red pepper, diced (or use a frozen onion and pepper mix for ease)
  • 1.5 cups frozen corn
  • 2 cans cream of celery soup (98% fat free)
  • 1/2 cup salsa
  • 1/2 cup taco sauce
  • 2 cups fat free cheddar (or cheese of choice)
  • 12 tortillas cut into 1/8ths (I just ran over them with a pizza cutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails