Saturday, April 10, 2010

Chocolate-fruit crepes

I saw these in a Taste of home simple and delicious magazine and decided to try them for breakfast this morning. They were tasty, but had this been my first time making crepes, I would have been frustrated. The batter was rather thick for a crepe making it hard to swirl around the pan like you have to with crepes. It was thick even though I ran out of buttermilk at 1 1/4 cups and used skim milk for the last 1/4 cup which is much thinner than buttermilk. I thought that was odd. I did really like the filling. Kind of a cross between a cherry pie and peach cobbler flavor with the added cinnamon. The flavor of the crepes themselves wasn't bad either, but I think they would have been just as good if I just used my regular crepes recipe and added chocolate.
2 other comments about the original recipe - it called for you to refrigerate the crepe batter for an hour - I didn't because I haven't done that before and couldn't see why you would. My batter was still very cool. Maybe to help the cocoa disolve? To remedy that problem, I just tossed the batter in the blender. I also thought that would help it not be quite so thick, but it was still thick. I thinned it some with a Tablespoon more of milk, but I still wasn't happy with the way they spread. They made spindly legs rather than a nice round crepe unless I put more batter on the pan. Then they made a bit thicker crepe. I was only supposed to use 2 Tablespoons of batter, but that would have made an exceedingly small crepe. Needless to say, I didn't get the recipes yeild of 10 servings of 2 crepes each. I made 12, but some of them not the full size of my crepe pan.
Everyone loved them - no one cared about thickness of the crepe or batter because they tasted great. I probably won't reuse the crepe recipe, but I probably will use the filling again, and I may fiddle with my crepe recipe to see if I can make a tastier chocolate crepe.
This is the recipe as I made it.


Crepe Ingredients


  • 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
  • 1/4 + 1 Tablespoon milk
  • 3 Tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 Tablespoons splenda
  • 2 Tablespoons cocoa
  • 3 eggs

Filling Ingredients

  • 1 can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling (I used the extra cherries one)
  • 1 can (15 oz) slices peaches, drained and chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
  • whipped cream

Directions

  1. Combine crepe ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth. (Not what I did, but what I wish I would have done at the beginning. Would have used lots less dishes and I'm washing them by hand since my dishwasher doesn't work.)

  2. Heat lightly greased crepe pan over medium heat. Pour batter (probably about 1/3 cup worth - I was using a 1/2 cup measuring cup but not filling it all the way full.) into the center of the pan. Lift and tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. Cook until top appears to be dry. Turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a plate or wire rack (I'm lazy and just stacked them on a plate - recipe suggests separating by waxed paper.... I just piled them up like I do pancakes and had no problems.) Repeat with remaining batter, greasing pan only if necessary (I never had to.)

  3. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine pie filling, peaches, and cinnamon. Microwave for 2 minutes, stir, microwave for 15 seconds more - or until desired temp. Stir in almond extract.

  4. Place filling on crepe and roll up. Top with whip cream - or chocolate fudge sauce if making for dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails