Monday, April 26, 2010

pina colada oatmeal

So I got a marga grain press a while ago and then finally got some oats to roll in it, so now I'm always looking for new oatmeal ideas.  I got the idea the other day after having cottage cheese and pineapple and after making those coconut/chocolate bread pudding bowls to try pina colada flavored oatmeal.  Well, today was the day I tried it and it was yummy.  A new favorite way to eat oatmeal.  Here is what I did.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (freshly rolled if you can)
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/8 teaspoon coconut extract
  • 1/2 Tablespoon splend
  • 1/2 can crushed pineapple  drained (about 1/4 cup I think)
  • 7 grams sliced almonds - the equivalent of 6 almonds -I weighted them, then replaced them with already sliced almonds - maybe 1/2 Tablespoon - 2 teaspoons if measuring.
  • 1 teaspoon shredded coconut
Directions
Combine oats, milk, water, splend and coconut extract in a bowl.  (It has to be pretty big or it will boil over.)
Microwave for 4 minutes on high. (I had to stop and stir mine after 3 because it was boiling over.)
Remove from microwave - stir in almonds and pineapple.  Top with shredded coconut. 

I ate my first few bites plain, but then added 1/2 cup milk so I'd get my full cup of milk with my breakfast.  Both ways are delicious, and good for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails