Friday, April 27, 2012

Peanut butter stew

So, I am super far behind in blogging for multiple reasons one of which is computer issues. I've finally given up on getting our computer fixed and downloaded picasa onto the random old work laptop DH had sitting around here, and finally got some pictures onto that computer so I could update my blogs - I mean for Heaven's sake I was uploading pictures from all the way back at new years. So I go to upload and blogger won't even let me sign in. Out of curiosity I check on the ipad - NOTE - the ipad has never let me blog. Says it doesn't support html or something, so I haven't even tried using it for ages. Today low and behold, it pulls up a page for me to type, so here goes nothing. I'm just going to start with last night's dinner and we'll go from there to see what we manage to get done.
 One last comment on blogger not working -I find it completely ironic that blogger is not working on my regular computer using all google products - google chrome and blogger. Yet it will work on my ipad????? I'm just glad it is working somewhere so I can at least get something done. I won't be able to add pictures, and it looks like I'll have to go and edit in some bullets and numbers to make things how I like them, but at least I can work while my little one naps.

 On to the meal. I really liked this meal. Loved the combination of the peanut butter and the sweetness the tomatoes and the sweet potato added. Very interesting flavors. Brandon says he liked it better before I added the peanut butter. (I had him check the sweet potatoes for doneness while I was making a salad. The younger boys didn't like it at all and were not happy to take their 3 and 6 bites, but finally did comply. The older boys ate it without complaint and Duncan even took it for lunch today. (I do have to say this could entirely be because we said it was a West African inspired stew and he loves anything that says it is from Africa. I'm not looking any gift horse in the mouth though, so I'll take it.
 The original recipe is from the book The Six o'clock scramble. One of my favorite books lately because it does have a lot of vegetarian options. I did make a couple of adjustments. Like my sweet potato was extremely large so I added another cup of cabbage. I had no peanut oil so I used butter and olive oil. Had to use white grape juice because it was the closest I had to apricot or apple..... You know me. Always changing things around. Of course, that would be why I blog -so I can remember what I've done to a recipe. :)

Oooh, just checked out this post on the computer.  In the time it took to pick up my kiddos from school I have had 4 views.  Sorry to those viewers.  I see that the ipad did absolutely NO editing, not even paragraphs or lines.  Lesson learned - type into the ipad, but don't hit publish or you'll have large hard to read blob of text.  Oops!  Here is the edited version.
Sorry about this picture.  It is what happens when your computer is down so long you stop taking pictures of meals.  This is a random shot out of the container of left overs... Not wonderful - although I can't say that this was ever the "prettiest" dish.  :)



 Time - prep 25 min + 20 minutes simmer
Servings 8
 Ingredients

  • 1 Tablespoon butter 
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil 
  • 1 large onion, diced, I used 1 cup - I'm very partial to sweet onions and that is what I used here.
  •  2 cloves garlic, minced 
  • 3 cups chopped cabbage (close to 1/2 of a small green cabbage) 
  • 1 large sweet potato, diced into 1/2 inch cubes - mine was very large. I thought I was picking medium large at the store, but when I started dicing and tossing in the pot, it was a lot. If yours is only medium large, you may choose to reduce the cabbage to 2 cups. 
  • 3 cups tomato juice 
  • 1 cup white grape juice - original said apricot or apple - I'm sure any mild juice would do. 
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt 
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger 
  • 1 15 oz can dice tomatoes, drained (or 2 chopped tomatoes) 1/2 cup smooth, natural peanut butter 

Directions

  1. In a large pot, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until softened and fragrant.
  2.  Add the olive oil, garlic, cabbage, and sweet potatoes. Saute the mixture for 5 minutes. 
  3. Add the juices, salt, ginger and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover the pan and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender. 
  4. Add the peanut butter, stirring thoroughly until incorporated. Serve hot.
Ah, that looks much better.  Glad I found this out before hitting publish on the other one I'm typing.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails