This is from the cheap fast good book, so it is super simple. I just made it a bit more healthy since it used seasoning salt. I'm not a big fan of the list of ingredients on that stuff so I used an organic no salt spice blend and sea salt. Worked out well and had a great flavor.
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 very large onion (seems all of ours are very large if going by the standard that 1 large = 1 cup diced.) cut into 8 pieces (or 2 smaller onions quartered)
- 5 baking potatoes (medium to small size) peeled and quartered
- 2 teaspoons organic no salt seasoning (I use one I got at costco)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 chicken, I used an organic chicken
- preheat oven to 350. In a small container, mix no salt seasoning with sea salt.
- Prep veggies and toss in the bottom of a large oven safe pot with a lid (or crock pot). Sprinkle about 1/2 of the seasoning mix on the veggies.
- Prepare the chicken by removing neck and any giblets that may be in the cavity of the bird. Rinse the chicken inside and out with cold water removing any excess fat. I also removed the skin from everything but the legs. Place the chicken, breast side up, in the pot on top of the veggies rearranging if necessary so the lid closes tightly. Sprinkle with remaining seasoning mix.
- Pour 1/2 cup water into the pot on the side of the chicken.
- Bake until meat thermometer reads 180 about 1.5 hours. (I'd be happy with 160/165 and hope for some carryover.
- cut chicken and serve with veggies.
alternative cooking - make in a crockpot and cook for 7-8 hours on low.