Monday, June 4, 2012

guacamole and pico de gallo

I know I said that 7 layer dip would be the next post, but to post on 7 layer dip, I felt I had to post the guacamole recipe we use.  Honestly I have to admit that we totally cheated this time around because we just used salsa, but we do normally make guacamole following this recipe.  I'm including our pico de gallo recipe becasuse it seems like everyone would know what it is so it doesn't merit it's own post.  However, in case you don't, or I ever forget the proportions, I've included it here.

Again, no picture - other than as part of 7 layer dip.

Ingredients

  • 3 avocados (Hass medium), 
  • 1 Tablespoon lime juice (freshly squeezed)
  • 1/2 cup pico de gallo (see below)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced (3 cloves)
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon jalapeno, stemmed seeded and minced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Directions
  1. Pit avocados.  Score without going through the skin.  Scoop dices our into a mixing bowl.  Add the lime juice and stir to coat.
  2. Stir in the remaining ingredients and stir and mash until desired consistency is reached. 
****Tip - We learned this awesome tip a while back - if you toss an avocado pit in with the guacamole it will keep it from going brown.  

~~Like I said, today we totally cheated.  I love the Jack's Special fresh salsa that they sell at our costco.  It has a nice limey flavor.  We just subbed that for the jalapeno, pico, and lime juice.  I'm pretty sure Brandon still added a bit of garlic, the olive oil, and salt to taste.  But like I said, I share the recipe because it is our go to guacamole recipe.

Pico de gallo
Ingredients
  • 2 cups (1 pound) tomatoes, diced
  • 1/2 cup white onions, diced
  • 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons jalapeno, stemmed, seeded, and minced
  • 2 teaspoons lime juice (fresh is best)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails