Friday, June 29, 2012

Crispy Chocolate chip granola bars

Haven't managed to post in a few days mostly due to the fact that for some reason I don't want to finish the post I have already started.  I come to the computer to type, see it sitting there, would rather do something else and it doesn't get posted.  I've also been testing some recipes for a new book coming out by Sandi Richard.  That has been fun.  Doesn't lead to anything blogable though.  However, I've also been making all sorts of snacks to see what we might like to take with us as healthier alternatives to what our typical road food has been.  They are much more fun to blog than the other recipe I have sitting, so it is just going to stay in draft form and I'm going to try to play a little bit of catch up before we head out on vacation - where I probably won't blog - but who knows, maybe I'll do some cooking and experimenting.  :)
This recipe comes from a site called Marathon Mom.  I was happy my sister pinned a recipe from her site because it led me there and she had tons of granola bar recipes which is exactly what I was looking for.  Even better, they used all natural ingredients like honey for sweeteners, and coconut oil or butter for fats.  I tried this one following the recipe then totally reinvented her chocolate ones to make them without using chocolate chips.  (my next post.)  Both were tasty.  To be honest, I think these were a bit sweet for me and the honey flavor seemed strong, but my honey is nice and dark and probably just has a nice strong flavor.  I loved the crisp of these and don't tell anyone, but I had these for lunch with some carrots and Tavio had some for lunch with a banana.  So tasty.  Don't start snacking it is hard to stop.  :)  Pretty sure I'll be making these for our road trip.
Oh, last comment on this recipe.  Mine didn't stick together supremely well when room temperature, but when refrigerated, they are perfect.

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup turbinado sugar (or any appropriate substitute - for example sucanat - I think I may try coconut sugar next time.)
  • 2 cups oats
  • 1 cup crispy brown rice cereal (I had never heard of this, but it was nice.  Pricey, because it was organic and kind of specialty, but loved the crisp it added to the bars.)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla 
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, stir together oats and cereal.  Set aside.  Grease an 8 X 8 inch glass pan and set aside.
  2. Melt oil, honey, and sugar until bubbly stirring constantly.  (Original recipe said no more than 2 minutes, but it took longer than that to get it to boil, and the oils and sugar didn't combine well until it boiled.  I just brought it to a boil and took it right off the heat.)  Let cool slightly, stir in the vanilla.  
  3. Pour the liquid over the oats and cereal and stir until well coated.  Press firmly into prepared pan. (I buttered my hands a bit to get them not to stick as much but it didn't seem super helpful.)    
  4. Sprinkle chocolate chips over granola mixture while still warm and press in firmly again.
  5. Cool on counter, in the fridge or in the freezer depending on how quickly you want to eat them.  :)  When set, turn out of the pan onto a cutting board and cut into desired shapes (I'm thinking cutting in the pan would work equally well.)
  6. I prefer storing these at room temperature for the best texture, but it is summer in Houston.  You may be just fine storing them at room temperature.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails