Friday, June 29, 2012

Chocolate Granola bars

This started as a recipe on Marathon Mom, but totally changed as I was working on it.  It is actually the recipe my sister pinned that led me to the website in the first place.  However, the only thing making these chocolate were the chocolate chips and I didn't feel like using chocolate chips so I began to improvise.  Yesterday I didn't like these as well as the crispy chocolate chip ones, but today I  like them a lot.  Maybe they just needed to set a day.
This is the recipe I really need to post before I forget what exactly I did.  I liked the chewy texture of these a lot.  May or may not want to add less cocoa powder next time.  Jury is still out on that.  :)  As I made them, they are a bit darker, but not too dark.  The kids eat them so they can't be too bad.
Also, I thought I had totally ruined these because I had over cooked them because I was burning my tongue trying to decide how many tablespoons cocoa powder to add.  Luckily the blob of chocolate still managed to coat my oats.  Whew!  In other words, these are very forgiving - however I highly suggest taking the syrup off the heat as soon as it melts.  :)

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 Tablespoons flax seed - ground in a coffee grinder or 1/4 flax seed meal / ground flax seed
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons wheat germ
  • 1 1/2 cups oats
  • 2-4 Tablespoons finely shred unsweetened coconut (optional and this is a guess on amount.  I basically just sprinkled some on top until I liked how it looked.)
Directions
  1. Grease an 8 X 8 inch pan.  Set aside.
  2. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan.  Stir in peanut butter, honey and cocoa powder and heat just until melted.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
  3. Stir in flax seed, wheat germ, and oats until coated.
  4. Pour into prepared pan and press firmly.  Sprinkle with coconut and press firmly again.  
  5. Cool and store in fridge or on counter.  I like them in the fridge.  They seem to hold together better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails