Friday, June 22, 2012

raw strawberry oatmeal

This is the other raw breakfast recipe I tried.  It is from a book I bought called Raw Energy.  The original called for cayenne pepper which I couldn't bring myself to attempt.
This had a great texture - very chewy for an oatmeal, but it was just soaked oat groats so I expected that.  I also found it to be just about the right sweetness for me.  Maybe even a little sweeter than I usually eat my oatmeal.  Honestly, the weirdest thing about this oatmeal was the fact that it was cold.  I can't say that I would crave or want hot oatmeal in the summer and I plan to try some other overnight oats recipes from Oh She glows, but it really was strange to me to eat cold oats.  (And I used frozen strawberries, so my oats were very cold.  Then the left overs were refrigerated, so again, very cold.  I guess I'll have to get used to that if I want to eat more raw oats.)
Here is how I made it.   Again, pardon the iphone picture.  Not the greatest, but enough for me to get the idea.

Soaking required - start the night before.

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup oat groats
  • 1/4 cup raw almonds
  • 1 cup strawberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 2 teaspoons raw honey
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • pinch of sea salt (if desired - I can't remember if I threw this in or not.)
Directions
  1. Soak the oats and almonds for 10-12 hours in enough water to cover by 1 inch.  Drain and rinse.
  2. If using fresh berries, toss everything into the blender or food processor and blend until the oats and almonds are cracked and everything is moist and oatmeal - like.  Do not overprocess or it will turn into a paste.  (I used frozen berries so I tossed those in my blender first and blended them up into a nice puree.  Then I added everything else and blended it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails