This had a great texture - very chewy for an oatmeal, but it was just soaked oat groats so I expected that. I also found it to be just about the right sweetness for me. Maybe even a little sweeter than I usually eat my oatmeal. Honestly, the weirdest thing about this oatmeal was the fact that it was cold. I can't say that I would crave or want hot oatmeal in the summer and I plan to try some other overnight oats recipes from Oh She glows, but it really was strange to me to eat cold oats. (And I used frozen strawberries, so my oats were very cold. Then the left overs were refrigerated, so again, very cold. I guess I'll have to get used to that if I want to eat more raw oats.)
Here is how I made it. Again, pardon the iphone picture. Not the greatest, but enough for me to get the idea.
Soaking required - start the night before.
- 3/4 cup oat groats
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt (if desired - I can't remember if I threw this in or not.)
- Soak the oats and almonds for 10-12 hours in enough water to cover by 1 inch. Drain and rinse.
- If using fresh berries, toss everything into the blender or food processor and blend until the oats and almonds are cracked and everything is moist and oatmeal - like. Do not overprocess or it will turn into a paste. (I used frozen berries so I tossed those in my blender first and blended them up into a nice puree. Then I added everything else and blended it.)