Monday, July 16, 2012

Family Tuscan Pizza bowl

This is another recipe I saw at my moms  in her Demarle catalog and had to try.  I loved it.  The kids all griped about it.  I think Benjamin ended up actually liking it once he ate it because he ate his whole piece.  Tavio said he wasn't hungry, but ended up finishing his piece - but I know he didn't like it much.  Brandon, myself and my mom all liked it.
Again I had to make some changes and rearranges with this recipe - starting with the fact that we didn't have the size pan they wanted.  We also didn't have their dough mix or spices.  So here is what we did and I LOVED it.  Very fresh tasting because the veggies only got to crisp tender because they were only heated until the cheese melted.

Lets start with the pizza dough recipe.  I looked up my quick wheat recipe and clicked the link back to Mel's kitchen cafe and used her recipe with some extra spices.  Turned out great, and we really did make it quick and easy - mom didn't knead it long at all.  Super simple

Ingredients

  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 Tablespoon honey
  • 1 Tablespoon yeast
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon each thyme, oregano and basil
Directions
  1. Heat oven to 425.  Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl until well combined.  Let the mixer knead it for a minute or 2.  
  2. Roll out into a very large circle.  WE put this over a 14 X 2 inch pan.  I know I don't have one of these at home, but that is what my mom had, so the circle was probably 16 inches.  
  3. Either brush the dough with oil or spray your pan with cooking spray.  Gently lay the dough over the reverse side of your pan (ours was 14 X 2 - original recipe's was 11 1/2 x 2. You may also get away with 2 smaller cake pans.) 
  4. Bake 12-15 minutes until center is light golden brown and edges are cooked.  Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes.  Take it off the cake pan and place it on a pizza peel or cookie sheet (if it fits - ours went on the peel because it didn't fit anywhere else.  
While the crust is baking and cooling, prepare the veggies for the rest of the pizza

Ingredients
  • crust above
  • 12 stalks asparagus, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 golden bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 bunch green onions, chopped (That was 8 for me.  I didn't use all of the whites, but I did use most of them and all of the greens.)
  • 1 cup baby spinach
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil (I stuffed the cup somewhat - not tight, but not super loose for both the Spinach and the basil.)
  • 1 vine tomato, diced
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (Mom had kosher so that is what we used.)
  • 1/4 teaspoon Mrs. Dash garlic and herb seasoning.
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan (optional - we didn't measure this and we used the powder stuff because that is what we had but we just sprinkled)
  • cheddar cheese - we just added a tiny sprinkle of cheddar for color and flavor-maybe 1/4 cup
Directions
  1. Prepare veggies while the crust is cooking - chop and put in a bowl.  Add the salt and garlic mix.  Toss to combine/coat everything.  
  2. Pour veggies into the pizza crust bowl made above.
  3. Top with Mozzarella cheese.  Sprinkle with Parmesan and cheddar.
  4. Return to oven and cook until the cheese melts.  (We placed this directly on a pizza stone to cook the second time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails