Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Bath salts and scrubs

So for mother's day I decided to make some bath salts and scrubs.  My mom happens to be allergic to most scents, so I went looking for ideas and recipes that used natural, organic ingredients thinking that she would be able to enjoy those.  I ended up making a large batch and giving them to a couple of friends with May Birthdays, my mother, and mother in law, and to teachers as teacher's gifts.  I also of course got to keep the left overs.  Fun!  These are the scrubs and salts I made.

Lemon Rosemary Bath Salts

Ingredients

  • 2 cups epsom salt
  • 1/2 cup baking soda
  • 2-3 Tablespoons fresh rosemary; finely chopped (I tossed mine in my coffee grinder)
  • 6-8 drops lemon essential oil
  • 2-3 Tablespoons lemon zest
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients.  Store in an airtight container.
Coconut & Lime scrub
(I think I did like 4 times this amount)
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • zest from one lime
  • lime and/or coconut flavoring oils (I couldn't find these, so I added a drop or 2 of lemon essential oil or citrus bliss I can't remember which.)
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients, adding more sugar or coconut oil until desired consistency is reached.
Chocolate Lover's scrub
(I also did 4 times this amount, but I was making gifts.  It took a lot of cocoa butter - just a warning.  At the store I bought a 7 fluid ounce container, but it was only about 1 cup of cocoa butter - also just a warning.  This stuff smells like chocolate chip cookies or something - it is yummy.  The cocoa butter is also a great lotion.  I love using this on dry skin.

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup (1 oz) cocoa butter, melted
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
  • 2 Tablespoons sweet almond oil
  • optional extra - 1/2 -1 teaspoon vanilla -I did not use this.
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients.  Store in an airtight container.
Soapy scrub

Ingredients
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Dr. Bronner's Peppermint castile soap
  • 4 Tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2 Tablespoons glycerin
  • 1 teaspoon ground rosemary - I ground some fresh rosemary in the coffee grinder - the original recipe called for 5 drops of rosemary essential oil but I didn't have it.  I like the flecks of green in the mix though.
  • 3 drops peppermint essential oil
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients.  Mix well.  Store in an airtight container.
Invigorating Foot Scrub

Ingredients
  • 1 cup epsom salt
  • 1/4 cup sweet almond oil
  • 10 drops peppermint essential oil
  • 1 Tablespoons dried peppermint leaves (I didn't have these, but they were in the original recipe and would add a nice touch.
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients.  Mix well, store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails