Tuesday, July 2, 2013

brownie mix

I obviously found a bunch of mixes on pinterest and have been trying them out.  This one is for brownies and came from heart, hands, home website.  There are tons of mixes on this site.  I want to try more of them, but so far I've only tried the brownies.  Again, I used coconut oil when baking them (it isn't in the mix.)  It made my mix kind of thick and I worried about getting a good brownie texture, but they baked up nicely and were plenty tasty.
I can't say these are healthy, and I didn't use a healthier sugar this time, but next time I may try it with sucanant, and/or coconut sugar.

Ingredients

  • 8 cups sugar
  • 6 cups unbleached flour
  • 2 cups cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons baking powder
  • 1 Tablespoon salt


Directions:

  1. Mix everything together in a large container or zip top bag.  Label.
To make Brownies, mix together
  • 2 1/4 cup brownie mix
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup oil (I used coconut, melted - can use butter, or olive as well - original called for canola but I don't use that.  It was tasty with coconut)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts or chocolate chips (optional) - dried cherries would be tasty too.
Bake in a greased 8 inch square pan at 350 for 30-35 minutes.

You can also apparently make Texas sheet cake with this recipe by mixing 
  • 4 cups brownie mix
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
The directions say to boil the water, oil and sour cream, then mix it with the brownie mix and add the remaining ingredients.  Bake on a greased jelly roll pan at 375 for 20-25 minutes.  Frost with the following:
  • 1/2 cup evaporated milk
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
It says to frost while still hot.  
I have not made this, but living in Texas, this is actually brought to many an event, so I may actually try it sometime.  It isn't however my favorite cake to eat.  I prefer brownies.  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails