Monday, June 27, 2011

Cauliflower Bake

This is the second meal in a week that I have actually been a little bit worried to taste or try.  Who knows what possess me to try things I'm not even sure I'll like.  Mostly it is curiosity.  I don't think I've posted the other one yet, so I'll make it my next post.
This meal comes from $5 dinner mom's book.  It was so plain that I was very worried.  The book didn't even give amounts on salt and pepper.  I was totally afraid it was going to have absolutely no flavor with just salt and pepper so I added cinnamon and then worried that the cinnamon wouldn't go with the other flavors.  My debate was either cinnamon or garlic/herb and onion or something.  I chose cinnamon thinking  it might work out because it was like an apple pie with cheese.
Anyway, the dish turned out fine.  I could taste the salt and the cinnamon, but not the pepper.  Not too bad for a vegetarian meal if you ask me.  I was pleasantly surprised.  However, it doesn't rank up there as one of my all time favorites either.  Tavio hated it - made gagging noises all through the meal, but everyone else ate it just fine including the fussy 2 year old.  I think he actually ate about 4 bites.  That is a lot for him for a casserole type dish.  Yea!

Ingredients

  • 1 large head cauliflower, chopped into bite sized pieces
  • 3 Tablespoons flour
  • 16 oz. cottage cheese
  • 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon salt (can't remember if I threw 2 or 1 1/4 teaspoons in there.)
  • Dash pepper (1/8 teaspoon max)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 handful shredded cheddar cheese
Directions
  1. Steam cauliflower pieces for 5-6 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 350.  In a large bowl, mix together flour, cottage cheese, salt, pepper, and cinnamon.  Stir in cauliflower.
  3. Pour into an 8 X 8 dish.  Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese.  Bake for 20-30 minutes.  (directions said 20 minutes until cheese turns "golden brown" - That never really happened even after 30 but I took it out not wanting to end up with soggy cauliflower or anything.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails