This meal comes from $5 dinner mom's book. It was so plain that I was very worried. The book didn't even give amounts on salt and pepper. I was totally afraid it was going to have absolutely no flavor with just salt and pepper so I added cinnamon and then worried that the cinnamon wouldn't go with the other flavors. My debate was either cinnamon or garlic/herb and onion or something. I chose cinnamon thinking it might work out because it was like an apple pie with cheese.
Anyway, the dish turned out fine. I could taste the salt and the cinnamon, but not the pepper. Not too bad for a vegetarian meal if you ask me. I was pleasantly surprised. However, it doesn't rank up there as one of my all time favorites either. Tavio hated it - made gagging noises all through the meal, but everyone else ate it just fine including the fussy 2 year old. I think he actually ate about 4 bites. That is a lot for him for a casserole type dish. Yea!
- 1 large head cauliflower, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 16 oz. cottage cheese
- 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon salt (can't remember if I threw 2 or 1 1/4 teaspoons in there.)
- Dash pepper (1/8 teaspoon max)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 handful shredded cheddar cheese
- Steam cauliflower pieces for 5-6 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, mix together flour, cottage cheese, salt, pepper, and cinnamon. Stir in cauliflower.
- Pour into an 8 X 8 dish. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes. (directions said 20 minutes until cheese turns "golden brown" - That never really happened even after 30 but I took it out not wanting to end up with soggy cauliflower or anything.)