- 1 cup sweet red, orange and yellow pepper, chopped
- ½ cup onion, minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 ½ cups Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ pounds shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped into bite-size pieces
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups ripe tomatoes, chopped (we used some cherry tomatoes)
- 1 ½ cups cheddar
- 16 taco size tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9X13-inch dish and set aside.
- Saute red pepper, onion in 1/4 cup butter until crisp-tender. Add oregano, salt, garlic powder, pepper, cayenne pepper, and flour; blend well and cook, stirring constantly for about a minute. Whisk in the cream and continue cooking for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add 1 1/2 cups cheese; stir until melted. Add sour cream, stir to blend. Set aside.
- In another skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Saute shrimp and 1/2 cup onion until shrimp are pink (don't overcook or the shrimp will be tough). Add chopped tomatoes and 1/2 of the cheese sauce. Spoon 1/3 cup shrimp mixture into each tortilla. Sprinkle a bit of cheese on top of shrimp mixture. Roll the enchiladas up tightly. Arrange seam side down in a 9X13-inch glass baking dish. Spoon remaining cheese sauce over tortillas and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.