Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Orange curry

Once again, I'm behind in my blog.  I'm starting with this one mostly because I ate the left overs for lunch yesterday and I really liked it.  It didn't get posted when made partly because of time, but partly because none of the kids liked it.  However, both of the adults of the house liked it a lot, and I think I liked it even more as left overs yesterday.  (And that is saying something.)  The original recipe comes from Healthy Meals for less.  I picked this up on Amazon for it's great ratings.  I've only tried a couple of things so far, and both have been good.   Problem is, there aren't a ton or recipes in the book that seem new or really appeal to me.  This one did for a couple of reasons - orange with curry piqued my interest.  Second, the recipe is written to be used with left overs.  I liked that.  I didn't use left overs, I used pre-cooked chicken and frozen veggies, but technically, this could be used to turn left overs into a new meal, and that is always a bonus.
I know I made changes.  This is the worst problem I have when I don't blog immediately.  I doubled to tripled everything except the curry, and cut down on the  water and cornstarch to make the sauce stronger and not as thick so it would cover the noodles.  I'm going to write what I remember of what I did.  :)

Ingredients

  • 1 cup frozen concentrated orange juice
  • 1/2 cup water + 1 Tablespoon
  • 1 Tablespoon curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 Tablespoons dehydrated onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 cups cooked chicken (could use any type of meat or meat substitute)
  • 1 16 oz. package frozen mixed veggies (could use 2 cups of any steamed veggies)
  • 8 -12 oz egg noodles (this is a total guess -probably closer to the 8.  You could use rice as well)
Directions
  1. Cook noodles (or rice) according to package directions.
  2. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the orange juice concentrate, 1/2 cup water, curry powder, salt, onion, and garlic.  In a separate small bowl, combine cornstarch with 1 Tablespoon water.  Mix well.  Slowly whisk the cornstarch mixture into the orange juice mixture.  Continue whisking until it thickens slightly.  (2-3 minutes)
  3. Add chicken and veggies.  Heat through (I just tossed my veggies in frozen, so I had to heat for a couple of minutes.)  Either serve over noodles, or toss the noodles into the mix and stir to combine. (We did the second one.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails