Monday, June 27, 2011

Lentil spinach salad

Here is the other one that worried me this week.  It was actually quite good.  I saw this pictured in my taste of home magazine and thought it looked interesting because it had lentils and spinach in a salad.  I though hmm, that's different, I wonder if it's good?  However because I wondered if it was good, I worried about trying it.  Luckily it was better than I expected.  Not sure my kids would agree though... But that has a lot to do with the fact that #1 it was a salad - Men (boys) don't eat salads and #2 if you're going to force me to eat a salad, then it must be covered in Ranch (I wouldn't allow ranch.)  Poor guys.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped
  • 1 medium zucchini, chopped
  • 1/4 cup diced sweet onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup rice vinegar
  • 1/4 cup fresh mint
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon honey
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 5 cups spinach, chopped
  • 1 5 oz. container feta
  • 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled (I used pre-cooked and chopped it up.)
Directions
  1. In a small saucepan, bring lentils and water to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 or until tender.  Drain and rinse in cold water. 
  2. In a large bowl, whisk vinegar, mint, oil, honey, basil and oregano.  Add lentils, cucumber, zucchini, onion and tomatoes.  Stir to combine.  Add spinach, cheese and bacon.  Toss to combine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails