Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Gingerbread Nativities

Although I haven't blogged in almost a month.  (Shame on me) I have done some fun kitchen activities.  I'm going to try to attempt to get the best ones on the blog before DH heads out of the country again next week, and life goes back to crazy with wrestling and basketball everyday after school.  :)  At least all of the Holiday baking and shopping is done.  Honestly I thought I'd get caught up a bit more quickly but I'm enjoying spending time with my kids too much.  Right now they are headed fishing though, so I'm taking advantage of the free time and playing catch up.
This wins as my first post because it was sooo cute.  I found it over at recipe shoebox.  I'm not going to write out all of the directions, but I will post my pictures and do mini directions.  Go check out recipe shoebox for step-by-step directions.  Loved these.  If I am less busy next year (ha, ha!) then I would love to try these with actual gingerbread.
This is the one I made with the 3 year old.  

Ingredients

  • Gingerbread or graham crackers (1 package was plenty for 4 scenes)
  • tootsie rolls
  • soft fun size candy bar like milky way or 3 musketeers (we used milky ways)
  • 2 packages large gumdrops (I only found small packages so I needed 2)
  • 1 package small gumdrops
  • fruit roll ups
  • icing (I used a store bought can that came with tips that screwed on - could not have been easier)
  • Black licorice (I used nibs and didn't have to cut them as much as she did.)
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  • yellow food coloring
  • large marshmallows
  • mini candy canes
  • Although not listed at recipe shoebox, she used a white jelly wreath for the angels.  I liked that but had not bought them because they weren't on the list, so here they are for next year
  • round toothpicks
  • kitchen scissors
  • cardboard pieces (1 for each stable to use as a base)
  • foil
Directions
The 12 year old's.  He got fancy and added a star, but then left
hay??  Looks like someone has some yellow hair though.  :)
  1. Cover the cardboard with foil.  (Optional, I just wanted them covered.)
  2. Mix coconut in a bowl with 5 drops food coloring.
  3. Using picture as a guide make stable with graham crackers (or gingerbread.)  Start with walls and roof, then add the back.  
  4. Make the manger by using 3 quarter pieces or graham cracker.  Frost 2 into a v, then stick them on the third piece as a base.  Add some yellow coconut to the bottom of the manger to look like hay.
  5. Make remaining figures by
    1. Donkey - Cut 2 tootsie rolls in half to make 4 legs.  Attach to the candy bar using toothpicks (you will have to cut the toothpicks smaller)  Add 2 more tootsie rolls as a neck and head, and yet another as a tail.  Again, attaching with toothpicks.
    2. Baby Jesus - stick 3 white gumdrops together using a toothpick (you will need to cut it)  Wrap in a small strip of fruit roll up and lay in the manger.
    3. Mary, Joseph, shepherds, and angel - stick 2 large gumdrops together with 1 matching small gumdrop as the head.  Use fruit roll up strips as hair or headdress for Mary, Joseph, and the Shepherds.  Use a jelly roll cut in half for arms/wings of the angel - or candy canes if in a pinch.  :)
    4. Sheep -  Make 4 slits in the bottom of a marshmallow (with a knife or scissors.)  insert the licorice nibs in the slits as legs.  Make another slit in the front and add a licorice nib head.  
Here is the 5 year old busy at work.  He did have help from Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails