This wins as my first post because it was sooo cute. I found it over at recipe shoebox. I'm not going to write out all of the directions, but I will post my pictures and do mini directions. Go check out recipe shoebox for step-by-step directions. Loved these. If I am less busy next year (ha, ha!) then I would love to try these with actual gingerbread.
|This is the one I made with the 3 year old.|
- Gingerbread or graham crackers (1 package was plenty for 4 scenes)
- tootsie rolls
- soft fun size candy bar like milky way or 3 musketeers (we used milky ways)
- 2 packages large gumdrops (I only found small packages so I needed 2)
- 1 package small gumdrops
- fruit roll ups
- icing (I used a store bought can that came with tips that screwed on - could not have been easier)
- Black licorice (I used nibs and didn't have to cut them as much as she did.)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- yellow food coloring
- large marshmallows
- mini candy canes
- Although not listed at recipe shoebox, she used a white jelly wreath for the angels. I liked that but had not bought them because they weren't on the list, so here they are for next year
- round toothpicks
- kitchen scissors
- cardboard pieces (1 for each stable to use as a base)
|The 12 year old's. He got fancy and added a star, but then left|
hay?? Looks like someone has some yellow hair though. :)
- Cover the cardboard with foil. (Optional, I just wanted them covered.)
- Mix coconut in a bowl with 5 drops food coloring.
- Using picture as a guide make stable with graham crackers (or gingerbread.) Start with walls and roof, then add the back.
- Make the manger by using 3 quarter pieces or graham cracker. Frost 2 into a v, then stick them on the third piece as a base. Add some yellow coconut to the bottom of the manger to look like hay.
- Make remaining figures by
- Donkey - Cut 2 tootsie rolls in half to make 4 legs. Attach to the candy bar using toothpicks (you will have to cut the toothpicks smaller) Add 2 more tootsie rolls as a neck and head, and yet another as a tail. Again, attaching with toothpicks.
- Baby Jesus - stick 3 white gumdrops together using a toothpick (you will need to cut it) Wrap in a small strip of fruit roll up and lay in the manger.
- Mary, Joseph, shepherds, and angel - stick 2 large gumdrops together with 1 matching small gumdrop as the head. Use fruit roll up strips as hair or headdress for Mary, Joseph, and the Shepherds. Use a jelly roll cut in half for arms/wings of the angel - or candy canes if in a pinch. :)
- Sheep - Make 4 slits in the bottom of a marshmallow (with a knife or scissors.) insert the licorice nibs in the slits as legs. Make another slit in the front and add a licorice nib head.
|Here is the 5 year old busy at work. He did have help from Dad.|