Monday, February 27, 2012

Mozzarella sticks

This recipe comes from a book I  have out from the library right now called The complete Idiot's guide to easy freezer meals.  I checked it out when I was very into trying lots of different freezer meals.  I haven't found too much I'd like to try as far as a meal goes, but there were a couple appetizer/lunch ideas I wanted to try.  This was one of them.  Unfortunately the jury is still out on how they taste because they are still in the freezer.  However, the book goes back to the library tomorrow, and if I don't blog it soon, I'll forget what I did.

This original recipe called for a lot more ingredients that I actually ended up using.  I'm editing down to the amounts I used.

Ingredients

  • 3 eggs
  • 1-1 1/2 cups flour (I can't remember here if I used the full cup and a half.)
  • 1 1/2 cups Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs (I couldn't find my other container of breadcrumbs, and this was all that was left in the one I could find.  However, it worked perfectly and I was glad I hadn't wasted more -original called for 3 1/2 cups.)
  • 20 sticks of mozzarella or string cheese
  • marinara for dipping 
Directions
  1. On a plate, beat 2 eggs with a fork.  Place flour on another plate.  Pour bread crumbs into a large plastic bag.
  2. Prepare a baking sheet by covering with waxed paper. 
  3. Using tongs (or you fingers - I couldn't get tongs to work well) dip 1 string cheese in the egg.  Let excess egg drip off over the egg plate, then roll the egg coated cheese in flour.
  4. Dip the cheese back into the egg mixture rolling to coat.  Let excess egg drip off.  Place in the bag of breadcrumbs and shake to coat.  Remove cheese from the bag and place on prepared baking sheet.  Repeat with remaining cheese adding the extra egg when necessary.
  5. Freeze mozzarella sticks on the baking sheet.  Once frozen, transfer to a freezer container or zip top bag.
After freezing
  1. These can either be fried in oil at 350 for about 4 minutes or baked at 400 for 8 minutes.
  2. Serve with marinara sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails