Monday, February 27, 2012

pizza bites

Here is the other appetizer I tried from the Freezer book.  Again I haven't tried them, and I will update the blog when I do.  Again, this recipe called for way more ingredients than was necessary.  Luckily I only had 2 cups of marinara left and I adjusted the mozzarella accordingly.  It turned out to be the perfect amount for 1 package of egg rolls.  So glad I didn't follow the recipe.  I would have had lots of left over sauce.
I did make some pepperoni, but I will just warn they are a lot easier to make with just cheese.  If making them with pepperoni, be extra careful closing them so the pepperoni doesn't rip the egg roll.
These were super time consuming.  Egg rolls usually are.  I love knowing what is in them.  They are healthy - except for the pepperoni which was actually turkey pepperoni, so better than the regular stuff.  I also like the healthiness of the marinara sauce I made.  (next post.)  Lots of veggies in there.

Ingredients

  • 2-2 1/3 cups marinara sauce
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 package wonton wrappers (I cut a small rectangle off of mine because they were not square.  I suggest that if planning on folding them into triangles.)
  • 50 slices pepperoni (Optional -I used about 20 slices turkey pepperoni and put 1 slice in 20 of the wontons)
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, stir together marinara sauce and shredded mozzarella
  2. Place 1 wonton on a clean surface.  Place 1 slice pepperoni (if using) on the wonton - I sliced mine in quarters and found it easiest to place them in a triangular shape (1 piece in the bottom corner, then 3 right above that going diagonally across filling 1/2 of the wonton) before adding the cheese to make them the easiest to fold.   Top with 2 teaspoons cheese mixture (I used a 1/2 Tablespoon and heaped it just a bit to make approximately 2 teaspoons.)
  3. Lightly wet 2 adjacent sides of the wonton.  Fold on a diagonal and seal edges.  Repeat with remaining ingredients.  (I thought this was a bit speedier to do making 4 at a time.  4 wasn't too many for the edges to dry out too quickly and it was faster to pepperoni 4, cheese 4, wet 4, then seal 4.  It was also way faster not to use the pepperoni -may have been faster to use if I hadn't cut it, but I thought it would be cuter that way.  I'm also not sure how well it would have fit uncut.  I honestly think i'd just make them with no pepperoni next time.  I'm trying to use less meat anyway.  I just had some in the fridge and wanted to use it, but I don't think the time involved to add it is worth it.)
  4. Freeze in a single layer on a wax paper covered baking sheet.  (I used 2 and barely squished them all on there. - don't let them touch when freezing of they will stick together.)
After freezing
  1. The book only gives the option to fry these at 350 for 4 minutes.  I plan to try and spray them with cooking spray or brush them with olive oil or something and bake them in the oven.  I've also thought of making them like pot stickers with just a little bit of oil in the bottom of the pan.  When I actually get to that point, I'll update the blog.  In the meantime, I have to write and know what I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails