Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Macaroni and Cheese (with hidden veggies)

This started out as a recipe from Double delicious but I really had to add a lot more cheese to make it taste anything like macaroni and cheese.  I also didn't feel like doing the extra step of throwing this in the oven so I left that out.  Honestly for a mac and cheese recipe with veggies - I'd still go back to the nacho's recipe and just leave out the jalapenos.  I did that the other day and liked it as well if not better than this recipe.  This recipe was OK though, and the kids all ate it which automatically wins it a post on the blog.
I also did some funky things like used bean flour rather than regular - feel free to use regular.  Bean flour was just me experimenting.  :)  The cheese measures are approximate because I just kept adding until it tasted good.  I'm just guessing as to about what I ended up using.  The original only had 1 cup of cheddar with 2 T of Parmesan sprinkled on top for the oven.  So you can see how much cheese I added.  With only 1 cup you could have just called the dish orange macaroni and milk.  Of course it isn't as "healthy" with added cheese (and I didn't use the reduced fat called for either) but I like flavor and so do my kids.  :)

Ingredients

  • 1 pound pasta
  • 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2 Tablespoons bean flour (or regular)
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 2 1/2 -3 cups cheddar cheese
  • 1/4-1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup carrot puree
Directions
  1. Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain and set aside.
  2. Meanwhile heat the coconut oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan.  Whisk in the bean flour to form a paste.  Slowly whisk in milk to prevent lumping.  Bring to a boil and cook until the mixture thickens slightly.  (about 5 minutes)  Add remaining ingredients (both cheeses, salt, and carrot puree.)  Whisk until smooth.  
  3. Stir the cheese into the pasta and heat through.  Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails