I also did some funky things like used bean flour rather than regular - feel free to use regular. Bean flour was just me experimenting. :) The cheese measures are approximate because I just kept adding until it tasted good. I'm just guessing as to about what I ended up using. The original only had 1 cup of cheddar with 2 T of Parmesan sprinkled on top for the oven. So you can see how much cheese I added. With only 1 cup you could have just called the dish orange macaroni and milk. Of course it isn't as "healthy" with added cheese (and I didn't use the reduced fat called for either) but I like flavor and so do my kids. :)
- 1 pound pasta
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons bean flour (or regular)
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 1/2 -3 cups cheddar cheese
- 1/4-1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup carrot puree
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile heat the coconut oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Whisk in the bean flour to form a paste. Slowly whisk in milk to prevent lumping. Bring to a boil and cook until the mixture thickens slightly. (about 5 minutes) Add remaining ingredients (both cheeses, salt, and carrot puree.) Whisk until smooth.
- Stir the cheese into the pasta and heat through. Serve.