Sunday, November 27, 2011

orange chicken (with hidden veggies)

I guess I'm getting way too into the hidden veggies thing.  I pulled out this orange chicken recipe to make and went and made it a bit healthier by using agave rather than brown sugar, and adding some veggie puree.  No one was any the wiser.  Still tasted great.  I was also super lazy today and just used Orange juice, dehydrated green onion, and tossed everything in the pot together.  No problems.  Makes for a quick and easy meal.  I served this with sweet brown rice.  That rice is so tasty.  Sticky, but tasty - for brown rice anyway.  :)

ngredients
  • about 1 lb precooked chicken, defrosted 
  • 1/2 cup orange juice 
  • 1/3 cup rice vinegar
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon orange zest - I just used the zest of 1 orange - no measuring
  • 1/4 cup cauliflower puree
  • 1/4 cup sweet potato puree  (could probably have tossed in 1/2 cup, and would use carrot interchangeably.  I'm just out of carrot.)
  • 3/4 cup agave
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely minced ginger-I just grated some over the pot -  no measuring today.
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic -tossed in garlic powder here today
  • 2 tablespoons green onion - I used dehydrated and just tossed them in the sauce.
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch 
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 3 cups rice
Directions
In a medium saucepan combine orange juice, rice vinegar, soy sauce, orange zest and whisk over medium heat for a few minutes. Then stir in purees (I just tossed them in frozen and let them defrost as the sauce heated.) agave, ginger, garlic, and green onion and let it come to a boil. Combine cornstarch with water and let it dissolve and add it to the sauce until thickened.  Remove about 1/2 of the sauce to a bowl (I used my gravy boat.)  Add the chicken to the remaining sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer while preparing rice.  (I just made min in a rice cooker.  3 cups lets me fill it up to line 4.)  Serve the chicken mix over rice with extra sauce for the rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails