Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Cranberry Salad

This recipe today is the reason I started this blog the other day. I knew I had it because I turned it in for a RS cookbook they are doing for our meeting tonight. Then I was supposed to make it for the meeting today. Do you think I could find the recipe? Of course not. Who knows what I did with it after I typed it up. I know it is my mom's recipe. It is one of the few things we make each holiday season using the same recipe. Most of the other things we make change each year because we like to try lots of stuff out at our house.


You must START EARLY on this recipe. The night before is ideal, but at the latest in the morning.

Ingredients

  • 1 20 oz. can of crushed pineapple and juice
  • 1 bag miniature marshmallows
  • 1 1 lb bag cranberries
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 16 oz. container of cool whip
Directions

Combine the pineapple and the marshmallows in a large bowl. Grind the cranberries in food processor and add the sugar. Put in another container. Cover and refrigerate both mixes overnight or at least 4 hours.

Combine pineapple mixture and cranberry mixture. Fold in cool whip. (You can use less cool whip if you want it more tart or so says my mom's recipe. I've never had it like that.)

Top with chopped pecans if desired. Cover and freeze.

Take out about 30 minutes before serving to allow to partially defrost.

11/20/2017 - still making this each Thanksgiving but I'm way more health conscious than I used to be and I can't bring myself to buy cool whip.  Have you read those ingredients?  I do try to feed my family real food.  This is still loaded with sugar to be sure, but now we use actual whipping cream in place of the cool whip.  Just whip to stiff peaks with a bit of sugar and fold in like cool whip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails