Friday, October 7, 2011

Butter lime chicken with brown rice pilaf

I saw this recipe on Deals to meals.  It looked like a great recipe for a super busy day because it could come together very quickly using pre-cooked chicken.  It did come together quite quickly, and it was tasty.  I'm not sure what kind of tasty judge I am this week though because I have been congested and therefore not able to smell or taste as well as normal.  However, I think I could taste this one.  The kids didn't complain about it either, and I actually got my pickiest to eat a good deal of it.  He ate his first serving of chicken with no prompting and I got him to eat more chicken and even the rice by bribing him with jellybeans.  (horrible mom, I know, but what are you going to do.  He got 1 jellybean for each bite of rice.  Even got in some veggies with the rice.  I'll take it for the 7 jelly beans he ate.)
Also on a side note to self -- I made my pre-cooked chicken in the smoker this time.  While it is super tasty, I'm not sure I want to do that again.  (or at least I guess I'd better use less wood chips.)  The chicken had a powerful hickory flavor.  Again, not bad, just strong.  Not sure it will go with all recipes.
Finally, I made this with a super simple rice pilaf.  My goal was -something that my 14 year old (not good in the kitchen or following directions) could start while I was gone so that the boys could eat between activities.  So, I tossed a bunch of dehydrated veggies in with the rice and left it in the rice cooker.  (he just had to add broth - sadly he didn't add enough and the 12 year old wanting to attend his church activity left to it hungry but what can I say.  I tried hard - didn't help that there was a wreck on the way home from the cross country meet, but that is another blog right??  Suffice it to say, this was a super simple meal that came together quickly.  I was so impressed with how well the pilaf went with the chicken that I'm including the recipe.

Chicken
Ingredients

  • 1 package pre-cooked chicken (12-16 oz) -or saute some chicken in a pan before starting
  • 2 limes, juices
  • 1 stick butter (could probably reduce by 1/2 - there was a LOT of sauce and we didn't use it all.)
  • 2 green onions, sliced
  • 1/2 teaspoon dill
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
Directions
  1. In a frying pan, cook juices of limes over low heat until it begins to bubble  Add butter, stirring until butter becomes opaque and forms a thickened sauce.  Stir in chicken broth, chives, and dill. Add chicken and heat through.  Serve over rice.

Simple rice pilaf (in a rice cooker)

Ingredients
  • 2 cups brown rice
  • varied dried veggies -I just tossed in maybe 1/4 cup of each - more or less I mixed it in with the rice and went by how it looked.  I used
    • a veggie flavor mix which included onion, garlic, red and green peppers and celery (I see that is not posted here.  I may have to give it a post.  It was handy and added a lot to the flavor.)
    • peas
    • carrots
  • 1 32 oz container of chicken stock
Directions
  1. Combine ingredients in rice cooker and push button - can't get easier than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails