Thursday, October 6, 2011

Roast beef and vegetable bake

OK, I'm debating posting this one.  It was tasty, but basically just a pot roast with the beef cut in cubes to cook faster.  It did have a couple of new things in it that I liked - like it added cabbage.  I had some that I had bought for something else and was perfectly happy to have another reason to use it.  I would never thought of adding that to a pot roast type dish.  It also had both regular potatoes and sweet potatoes.  While I love this idea, I've never been able to make it work effectively.  My sweet potatoes always end up getting overdone.  That being said, I've decided maybe I should go ahead and post it because it did have a different flavor -dash of cinnamon and dash of cloves.  That was actually nice.  It was a bit spicier than I would have liked and I even backed off the pepper just a tad because an anti-pepper child walked by as I was putting it in.  I think I'd cut it in half.  While I liked some spice, I think this was just a bit too much and too over the little pinch of cinnamon and cloves more than I would have liked.  Here's my adaptation of the recipe with notes to make it better next time.  Original was from Family Feasts.

Ingredients

  • 1 Tablespoon oil
  • 1 1/2 -2 lbs beef cut into 1 inch cubes 
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 carrots, sliced
  • 3 ribs celery, chopped
  • 2 cups finely chopped green cabbage
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper (I used a little less and would probably take it down to 1/2 teaspoon next time)
  • pinch cinnamon
  • pinch cloves
  • 2 cups beef stock
  • 4 -5 potatoes sliced (I used some red I had -next time I think I'd cube these.  They too were a bit overdone.)
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced (I'd definitely cube this next time, and in bigger cubes than the potato since it seems to cook faster.)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400.  Coat a 9X13 with cooking spray.  (I'd use a large pan next time too - probably an old crock pot - or just cook it in the crock pot all together.)  
  2. Heat oil in a large skilled until hot.  Add beef and cook until evenly brown on all sides.  Transfer to a plate leaving juice in the pan. 
  3. Add bell pepper, onion, carrot, celery, and cabbage.  Cook, stirring occasionally until veggies soften.  Return beef to skillte.  Add paprika, salt, pepper, cinnamon and cloves.  Stir in broth.  Simmer for a few minutes.  
  4. Meanwhile, layer bottom of prepared dish with potato and sweet potato slices.  Pour beef and vegetable mixture over the potatoes.  Bake, covered with foil until potatoes and beef cubes are tender, about 45 minutes (I should have probably started checking at 30 minutes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails