Friday, October 21, 2011

peanut butter playdough

Yesterday was finally my turn for playgroup at my house.  We have 6 toddlers (2 1/2 to 3 years old) in the group, and we are house #6 so it has been a while before it got to us. Somehow Monday night or Tuesday morning while laying in bed I got the great idea to do peanut butter playdough with them.  However, I didn't manage to get to the finding a recipe and making it part until.... you guessed it Thursday morning.  There sure are a lot of peanut butter playdough recipes out there in case you were wondering.  They have varying quantities of peanut butter, nonfat dry milk, honey, and/or powdered sugar in them.  I chose a recipe that used very little honey and no powdered sugar.  I was actually overall impressed with the flavor.  It was quite tasty.  (To be honest I was afraid of the powdered milk tasting to strong.)  I'd definitely make this again for fun and/or snack.   The kids loved it.  Most didn't play too much with it - just mine.  He played forever, then played with it again in the afternoon.  They all had cute little grins when they tried eating it since they all informed me eating playdough was a no no.  :)

Unfortunately Brandon made this and I think he used equal parts peanut butter and dry milk.  I tried to add lots more (almost another full cup) of peanut butter and a bit more honey, so definitely start with the lesser amount of dry milk so it doesn't get too dry.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 2/3 -1 cup nonfat dry milk
  • 2 Tablespoons honey
Directions
  1. Mix all ingredients adding enough powdered milk to make the playdough dry enough to handle but not crumbly.  
  2. We just smashed ours flat and cut things out with cookie cutters.  I've added some other ideas below.
Other ideas
  1. Add raisins to make a face
  2. Stir in chow mein noodles and make a bird's nest.
  3. Stir in chocolate chips or cheerios..... (you get the picture)
  4. Try a nonfat chocolate milk mix to make chocolate peanut butter mix.
  5. I read on comments to this blog that this mix could be cooked. Someone said they made halloween witches fingers with it - even putting a pretzel in the middle for a bone (almond slice for fingernail.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails