Friday, October 21, 2011

Strawberry-Banana pancakes

Here is the other recipe I tried out of the 366 delicious ways to cook rice, beans and grains.  I had to make a few more modifications to it because I couldn't find wheat germ at the store the other day and I had greek yogurt, not regular.  They still ended up tasting delicious.  I liked that they were whole grain and contained some fruit.  I also liked that they had corn meal in them.  Gave them a little different flavor/texture from your regular pancake.
This is what I ended up doing this morning.
Sorry for the sad pic.  I don't always think to take a picture of pancakes.
These are day old cold out of the fridge, but you can still see the Strawberry chunks.  Yum!

Ingredients

  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal (I use home ground popcorn)
  • 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3 Tablespoons brown sugar (I'd probably use agave next time - not sure why I didn't change that today -I was in a hurry though.)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup greek yogurt (If using regular, you probably will need less milk)
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 Tablespoons oil
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1 banana, diced
  • 1 cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
Directions
  1. Combine cornmeal, flour, wheat germ, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Mix well.
  2. Add yogurt, milk and canola oil.  Stir until evenly moistened.  Stir in bananas and strawberries
  3. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.  Gently fold in the remaining batter.
  4. Cook on a pre-heated griddle using 1/4 cup batter for each pancake.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails