Saturday, October 15, 2011

Bread topped hamburger casserole - the I'm glad I have food storage way

This post is purely me writing about how my food storage saved my bacon yesterday.  Feel free to skip it, or read on to see how helpful having some food storage can be.
Go back to Wednesday -- I was supposed to have made my grocery list so I could shop on Thursday - didn't get done between a training I had to attend, grouchy kids, laundry, wrestling practice, cross country meet, and scouts - you know all the fun mom stuff you get to do in a day.  Soo I got to Wednesday night and was super stresses - what was I going to make for dinner, I wasn't going to get shopping, I hadn't been able to make some chicken items last week because I was out of chicken in the freezer (who knew - both pre-cooked and chicken breast)  Soo, to calm down I finally thought - hmm, I do have pre-cooked hamburger in the freezer, I can make bread topped hamburger.  It is quick and easy, can rise while I pick up Duncan....  I don't need to go to the store.....
Fast forward to Thursday - I'm making said bread topped hamburger casserole - because I have all the stuff right??  wrong!  I have since run out of milk, never had cream of mushroom soup, don't have celery (rotted) or bell pepper (used them all up.) Soo, I improvised with food storage and was grateful to have such things.
Here is the original with my substitutions written to the side

Hamburger mixture ingredients
  • 1 lb hamburger
  • dried onions
  • 1/4 c diced bell pepper (dried red and green pepper)
  • 2 stalks celery, diced (freeze dried celery)
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup (1/2 cup this mix plus 1 Tablespoon beef bouillon and dehydrated mushrooms plus 1 1/2-2 cups water)
  • 1 can vegetable beef soup
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 8 oz. can of tomato sauce (I almost subbed tomato powder just to make it really powder based but didn't.)
Bread topping ingredients
  • 1 pkg. Yeast or 1 Tablespoon
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 Tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup scalded milk - turned into a little over 1/2 cup warm water plus
  • 1.5 Tablespoons powdered milk
  • 1 Tablespoon powdered butter
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
Directions

Scald milk by putting in microwave with butter until the butter is melted. Set aside to cool to lukewarm. This was actually nice.  I didn't have to do any of this because I used powdered milk and butter.

Fry hamburger with onions (or use precooked), I put the pre-cooked, tossed all of the ingredients on top then stirred it all together. . Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer while preparing the bread.

Place bread ingredients in a bowl =I put warm water, sugar, yeast followed by flower, powdered milk and butter, spices.. Beat 3 minutes.

Pour hamburger mixture in 9 X 13 pan
Pour bread mixture over meat. -Let rise 30 minutes.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails