Friday, October 21, 2011

My favorite play dough

As I was labeling my last post about peanut butter playdough, I realized I have no craft type recipes (no category, so no recipes.)  I couldn't believe that since I have made all sorts of stuff from slime to play dough to different types of paint.  I mean I'm an Elementary Ed major with an Early childhood minor and I taught kindergarten for years.  This is my all time favorite play dough recipe.  The jello in it gives it color and smell and the large amount of cream of tartar gives it a great texture and makes it last forever.  This one took me a while to find because I haven't actually made it in years.  Maybe for the next playgroup.  If I find my other favorite playdough I'll post it too.  I used to make it each year at the beginning of the school year as a 1st day of school activity.  I know where the recipe was (in a Mailbox magazine) but I gave those all away when I quit teaching.  :(  


Ingredients

  • 0.3 oz package of sugar free fruit flavored gelatin
  • 2 cups four
  • 1 cup salt
  • 4 Tbsp cream of tartar
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 2 Tbs. cooking oil

 Directions
  1. Mix the dry ingredients in a pan.  Add the boiling water and cooking oil.  Stir over medium-high heat until the mixture forms a ball.  (This usually happens immediately when you add boiling water.)  
  2. Place the ball on waxed paper to cool.  Store in an airtight container.  Use different flavors to make different colors and smells.


 I do suggest adding a little food coloring to lighter colored Jello if you want a brighter colored dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails