Monday, October 3, 2011

chocolate donuts (draft - needs tweeking)

I had quite the baking day yesterday.  2 new recipes from breakfast, and 2 for dinner.  This was the first I tried.  I must admit, they aren't perfected yet.  They get a post because I have to know what I did to work on tweeking them until I like them.
First of all I got a new little donut making gadget.  Like a waffle maker but makes cute little donuts.  This recipe is from the book included with the maker, but of course I was trying to make it at least a little more healthy, and like I said, it still needs some work.  These were not sweet enough - or at least not sweet enough to balance out the bitter of the cocoa.  I need to either use less cocoa, or more sweetener (the first option appeals to me more or course.)  I do have to say, I had children that liked these, but I did end up dumping them in powdered sugar to give them a bit of sweet.  Not sure if I want to improve on this version or just try making a new version all together (maybe based off my chick pea cupcake recipe.)  But that is to be decided later.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cup wheat flour (I'd probably grind this on pastry next time for texture.)
  • 1/2 cup cocoa (less??)
  • original was 1/2 cup sugar - I used 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar, 1 Tablespoon truvia, 1/2 Tablespoon honey and about 1 Tablespoon agave -crazy I know - I'd stick with just 2 sweeteners next time, and probably make them honey or agave and truvia.
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions
  1. Combine dry ingredients.  Add wet ingredients and blend until smooth.
  2. I just had to fill each little donut spot with batter and cook them.  The were done in 3-4 minutes.
  3. glaze or coat with powdered sugar if desired.  (I'm hoping to get the recipe down well enough that they don't need a glaze or dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails