Friday, January 8, 2010

Chimichangas

I got the idea to make these from a recipe I found for "Skinny Chimichangas" on recipegirl.com. It is originally a weight watchers recipe. However, I didn't make it very skinny - mostly because I didn't use light tortillas - I used the pre-made bake yourself tortillas - not good for you, but definitely tasty. I also added extra cheese and didn't use light cheese. I doubled the recipe and changed the spices too. This is of course how I made it. I'm writing it down as they cook in the oven so I don't forget what I did. :) I served mine with shredded cabbage (would have preferred lettuce, but cabbage is what I had.) and some salsa and sour cream - honestly, I'm more worried about getting veggies in my kids and family than I am in cutting out fat. If you want to make them skinny, check out recipegirl. I cut out other steps because I wasn't using fat free tortillas. These were very yummy. Definitely a keeper. I loved the inside the way I made it. I think it could just as easily have been made with ground beef. I also think it would be good with kidney beans thrown in. I'm putting in a picture of the whole tray fresh out of the oven, and how I served them.


Ingredients
  • 1 lb ground turkey breast
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 2 clove garlic, minced (actually I used a heaping teaspoon of minced garlic from a jar.)
  • 1 Tablespoon chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1 heaping teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
  • 1 4 oz can mild green chiles
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 15-16 6-inch ready to cook flour tortillas (Larger tortillas would have made a better chimichanga, but the ready to cook at my store only come in 6 inch.)
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a nonstick baking sheet with nonstick spray.

2. Cook turkey, onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano and cumin in a skillet, breaking up the turkey until browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce and chiles; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended and the mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cheddar.

3. While cooking this, cook the tortillas in another skillet. I had no idea how many to use, I just started cooking tortillas at the same time I started cooking turkey and they both got done about the same time and ended up being the right amount. Lucky me.

4. Spoon about 1/4 cup of the filling into the center of each tortilla. Fold in the sides, then roll to enclose the filling. Place the chimichangas, seam-side down, on the baking sheet. Bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. Do not turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails