Thursday, December 10, 2009

Chocolate Banana Muffins

I found this on Realmom - I decreased the sugar, subbed out so whole wheat flour because I had some ground, and used a bit more banana than she did. They turned great. If you like a sweeter muffin, I'd follow her recipe, but these were sweet enough. The kids loved them, but they made a mess of the floor. Between those and the zucchini blueberry bread I made, I had to mop the floor. (OK, I already needed to mop or I probably wouldn't have made the zucchini blueberry bread.)
Here is the way I made them. Man I just realized that I didn't take a picture. I think there is 1 left, and it isn't beautiful - I think someone has picked at it, but I'll go get a picture.Not bad for a day old picked at muffin. :)



Ingredients
  • 1 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup wheat flour
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup baking cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Directions
In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Stir in the chocolate chips to coat with dry mix. In a small bowl, combine bananas, oil and egg; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full (mine were completely full). Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done. (Mine took more like 35-40 minutes. Not sure why.) Yield: 1 dozen.
I also thought these were better after they were cooler. 4 star warm, 5 cool

I'm making these again but trying yet again to make them a bit more healthy since I know I'm making German's Chocolate Cake this afternoon.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup splenda
  • 4 mashed ripe bananas
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 1/2 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
Same instructions.  Let's see how they turn out.
These were awesome.  I think they will get their own post - ok, maybe not because I forgot to take a picture. Definitely still 5 star, and more healthy.

Update 6/22/14

I find it a bit fun to watch my changes in what I consider healthy.  I made these again, but this time like this.   Still great


  • 1 1/2 cup wheat flour (I ground it fine - pastry flour)
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup coconut palm sugar
  • 3-4 mashed bananas
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup olive oil (or coconut oil - I don't remember what I used)
I didn't have chocolate chips - guess what, they weren't needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails