Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Cafe rio chicken and black beans

So today I tried a cafe rio chicken recipe from a cookbook my mom had sent me. Their pork, rice, and dressing recipe are all different from what we call Karley's pork at our house. I followed my recipe for the rice, but tried theirs for black beans. I was also a bit lazy after a day full of cooking (2 types of waffles + sauce, 3 Christmas candies, chicken, sauce, rice, and beans for dinner.) Anyway, because of that I didn't make any guacamole, or pico, or even dice tomatoes for our salads. They were still good, but I prefer the sweetness of the pork. I just really like the blend of the sweet pork, lime rice, and tomatillo/cilantro dressing. Got a picture of this though. I'll have to make the pork again in the near future to add a picture to that page as well. While I liked the beans, I don't know that I would go to the trouble of making them for this meal again because of all the other steps involved. I'm not sure it added that much to the overall flavor of the meal.



Cafe Rio Chicken

Ingredients
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 onion sliced
  • 2 cans diced green chilies (I found 1 large can)
  • 2 cups chicken broth (I used stock)
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • salt to taste
Directions
Combine in slow cook and cook on low 10-12 hours. Shred. (I cooked it on high for 5-6 hours because it was grocery shopping day I didn't have chicken until noon.:)



Black Beans

Ingredients
  • 2 cans black beans
  • 1 tomato (I used 2 roma tomatoes today)
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic minced
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Directions
Combine and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. (I diced my veggies in the food processor, adding the tomatoes last. Then I sauteed them in some oil. I didn't want my beans soupy, so I boiled it more than simmered is so it would boil some of the juice off.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails