Saturday, December 26, 2009

Cincinati chili

This was a wonderful recipe from the Taste of Home slow cooker book. We cut the ground beef down to 2 lbs, but I wouldn't recommend it. It made the chili a little soupy. We also cut the chili powder in 1/2 because of the anti-spicy kids I have. Double what I have here if you want it a pit spicier. I thought it was great the way we made it. DH just always adds hot pepper sauce to anything I've cut chili powder out of. Excellent flavor though. The baby adored this. Stuffed himself silly for dinner and again with the left overs for lunch the next day.


Ingredients
  • 3 lbs ground beef. (I used my precooked)
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped onions (I may have still been out. DH cooked so I really can't remember. I did have the dehydrated that I always have in the precooked beef though.)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 2 16 oz cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 15 oz cans tomato sauce
  • 2 cups beef broth
  • 1/8 cup (2 Tbs.) chili powder
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 square (1 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • hot cooked spaghetti -I used a 1 lb box - this amount of food could have used more noodles)
  • shredded chedar cheese and sliced green onions (optional - I used these the first day, but not for left overs when I remembered to take a picture.)
Directions
  1. If not using precooked beef, cook beef, onions and garlic until meat is done, drain.
  2. In a 5 qt. slow cooker, combine the beans, tomato sauce, brothe, chili powder, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, chocolate, cinnamon, cumin, salt, oregano, pepper, and cloves. Stir in beef mixture.
  3. Cover and cook on low for 5 1/2 to 6 hours or until heated through. Serve with spaghetti; garnish with cheese and green onions if desired. The first day we just dished the noodles, topped it with sauce, then cheese and green onions. I think the remaining sauce and noodles got stirred together for storage as left overs, so that is what it looks like in the picture I posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails