Sunday, December 20, 2009

sugar cookies and buttercream frosting

This cookie recipe is from an old ward cookbook. It is my favorite for sugar cookies because it is easy, makes a lot, doesn't need to be refrigerated, and rolls out quite easily. It isn't the most flavorful sugar cookie, but it is good. I have another one I love for the flavor, but it is so hard to roll out and cut and it needs refrigeration, so I never use it. This is the one I always go back to. A bad thing about this recipe for my waistline is that they aren't overly sweet, so I can eat way too many of them. :) The buttercream icing is a recipe I made up and wrote at the bottom of this recipe. It makes just about the perfect amount for frosting the amount of cookies this recipe makes.
You have to enjoy the decorations. My 3 year old helped.



Ingredients
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup butter flavored shortening
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla (I doubled it from 1 this time around)
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 7 cups flour
Directions:
(The directions I have say you can use lard in place of shortening for easy handling of dough. I never have, and I've never had trouble with this dough. In fact, its ease of handling is why I like it.)
Cream the shortening and the sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; mix. Mix dry ingredients in a separate container. Add half of the milk and flower mix. Beat well. Add the rest of the milk and mix. Add the rest of the flour and mix If the dough is a bit soft, add a bit more flour. (I want to say that with the extra vanilla this time I added just a Tablespoon or 2 more flour, but I wouldn't swear to it. I know I thought about it, but can't remember if I actually did.) Bake at 375 for 10 minutes.


Buttercream icing

Cream together
  • 2 cubes butter
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
separate and color as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails