Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Pumpkin breakfast puffs

Yesterday I was looking for something different to try for breakfast with the little boy and DH before he left out of town. I didn't want it to take a long time. I found this on Real Mom. As a bonus it used some canned pumpkin I had sitting in my fridge. They were pretty tasty, and simple to make.

Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup shortening
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (more wouldn't hurt)
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin

Coating:

  • 6 Tablespoons, melted
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup sugar
Directions:

In a small mixing bowl, beat shortening, brown sugar and egg until smooth. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice; add to the sugar mixture alternately with pumpkin. Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full (don’t use muffin liners). Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan. Meanwhile, combine cinnamon and remaining sugar in a shallow bowl. Roll the warm puffs in butter, then in cinnamon-sugar. Serve immediately. Yield: 1 dozen.


This dough was very thick. More like cookie dough than a muffin dough. I actually scooped it out by tablespoons like I would a cookie. I also cut the butter and sugar in original recipe's topping and still had some left over, so that was plenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails