Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Sausage and rice casserole

This is an old recipe from my mom. We didn't go grocery shopping today, and we had some sausage from last week that needed to be used, so we made this casserole. I made some changes to it today, and it was tasty. I wrote the original recipe, but also put what I did today. I forgot to take a picture again though. I have to get better at remembering again if I want pictures of my food. I guess it just isn't as important to me on my old recipes I grew up with. I know what they look like.


Ingredients
  • 1 lb sausage (today we used mild italian. It was more mild than whatever I usually use.)
  • 1 cup celery, sliced
  • 1/2 cup onions. chopped
  • 1/2 cup bell peppers, chopped
  • 1 cup rice (today I used 1 1/2)
  • 1 envelope lipton onion soup
  • (today I used 1 can beef broth to add flavor since I doubled the rice but not the onion soup)
  • 3 cups water (I used just shy of 3 because I had used the beef broth - nearly 2 cups and I was 1 1/2 timesing the rice)
Directions
Brown sausage, add veggies, and saute. Add rice and brown lightly. Add soup, water, and broth if using. Bring to boil. Simmer about 1 hour until rice is tender. (I covered it today and it was ready in less than 1 hour. I checked it at about 35 and it was still crunchy, but at 50-55 it was almost burned. It had a nice crunchy bottom that was actually quite delicious.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails