Sunday, December 13, 2009

Crock Navy Bean Soup

Man, this is the meal I made last Tuesday. I'm a bit behind. Been a busy week with Brandon out of town. Now I have to see if I can remember what I did to it. I know it started as a recipe in Saving Dinner. I think I can remember more or less. It was quite tasty especially when we added cheese. (Not in the original recipe, but I'm putting it here because it was yummy and really made the soup.)


Ingredients
  • 1 pound dried navy beans, rinsed adn drained
  • 6 cups chicken broth - I used 4 of stock and 2 of broth -stock has a better flavor
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped (I think I had 2 but they were smallish)
  • 3-4 carrots - (can't remember exactly how many I used and they weren't in the original recipe.)
  • 4 bay leaves
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
Directions:

I started by dicing the onions in the food processor, then trading to the slicing blade and slicing the carrots and celery. Sped things up nicely.
In a crock pot, combine the first six ingredients. Cook on high for 1 hour, turn it down to low and cook for 8-10 hours. About 1 hour before ready, add tomatoes. When beans are tender, salt and pepper to taste. Serve in bowls, top with shredded cheese. We stirred the cheese through and it really made the soup for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails