Sunday, December 13, 2009

black beans

Last night was our ward Christmas party. The theme was Christmas in Zarahemla, so we had south American themed food. They ordered tamales from some lady that were just delicious. Too bad I don't have a recipe for those. (Although I'm sure I wouldn't want to take the time it takes to make them. This lady made 840 for the party and it took her 3 days. I volunteered to make rice and beans, so I had all of the food and recipes brought to my home. Both were easy. The beans were really yummy. I've been looking for a good black bean recipe. I ate them all the time on my mission in Venezuela. I've never been able to make them to my liking, but these were quite good. I have to get it on the blog before I lose the little strip of paper it was written on.



Ingredients
  • 1 lb dry black beans
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 whole garlic cloves
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons salt
Directions

1. Rinse beans and remove any debris
2. In a large pot over medium high heat, place beans in 3 times their volume of water (about 6 cups.) Bring to a boil, and lte boil 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Carefully pour beans and water into a slow cooker. Add bay leaves, garlic, cumin, and salt. Cover and cook for 6 hours on High, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove bay leaves and garlic cloves then serve.

DH actually did steps 1-3 because I was at the cub scout push cart races. He didn't but the crock pot on high, but I noticed early enough and turned it up. At that time, I thought it didn't have enough water, so I added 1 cup boiling water. I did stir occasionally. When I went to remove the garlic and bay leaves, I only found 1 garlic clove and it was pretty much mush. I figure the other mushed right into the beans, but I think that is what caused it to have such a great flavor. I loved that I didn' t have to chop them or anything.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails