Sunday, December 20, 2009

Nutty whole grain waffles


This is the recipe out of the book that came with my new waffle iron. I have had a cheap round waffle maker since I got married, and it finally bit the dust about a month ago. It has been a great waffle iron for as cheap of a model as it was, but I wanted something nicer now that we were getting a new one. I also wanted square so that they could be easily heated in the toaster. I ended up buying a Calphalon. I've only used it the once, but I love it. It beeps when it is ready, I can set the amount of browning I want, and it beeps when it is done. Although somehow on the very first waffle it didn't manage to beep. (or more likely I didn't manage to hear it. I left it in thinking the little light would continue to go up on the darkness meter, but it didn't and I ended up with a pretty crispy waffle. Luckily Tavio loved it that way.) The recipe was good. I just like my other waffle recipe better. This recipe also had a berry topping which I didn't try. (I guess I ought to it looks good.) The picture has a burned waffle, and a nice medium waffle. I also thought it a bit odd that the recipe makes about 3 cups of batter since the waffle maker uses 2 cups for 1 batch. Tavio only ate 2 pieces and was full. I'm happy because it is much quicker to make them that way. It find it to be a cross between a Belgian and regular waffle. I think the holes are deeper than normal, but not as deep as a Belgian. I also think the spaces between the wholes are a lot wider than a Belgian making it a heartier waffle. I like that for the filling up the kids factor.



Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
  • 1 Tablespoon yellow corn meal
  • 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon satl
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup plain low fat yogurt (I used sour cream because that is what I had)
  • 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Directions

In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients. In another bowl combine the wet ingredients. Add the wet to the dry and stir until thick and smooth. Bake in waffle iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails