Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Lion House rolls

OK, we used the recipe we found for lion house rolls and I was totally unimpressed. I'm sure we overcooked them because they were dryish, but I also was unimpressed with the flavor. I'm curious to try it again because DH made it this time so I'm not sure if he did something different, but since the flavor wasn't there, I'm not sure I will. It did leave me wanting to make the recipe for rolls my mom gave me but I haven't found time to do it yet. I will publish that next though once I go find it. I got the recipe at realmomkitchen. I've just copied and pasted since DH made the rolls there is no commentary. I did have fun shaping them. She has a good link for shaping rolls here.


Ingredients

  • 2 cups warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
  • 2/3 cup nonfat dry milk (instant or non-instant)
  • 2 tablespoons dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/3 cup butter, shortening, or margarine (I use canola oil)
  • 1 egg
  • 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour, or bread flour
Directions:

In large bowl or electric mixer, combine water and yeast; let sit 5 minutes. Add dry milk yeast, then sugar, salt, butter, egg, and 2 cups flour. Mix on low speed until ingredients are wet, then for 2 minutes at medium speed. Add 2 cups flour; mix on low speed until ingredients are wet, then for 2 minutes at medium speed. (Dough will be getting stiff and remaining flour may need to be mixed in by hand). Add about ½ cup flour and mix again, by hand or mixer. Dough should be soft, not overly sticky, and not stiff (It is not necessary to use the entire amount of flour).
Scrape dough off sides of bowl and pour about one tablespoon of vegetable oil all around sides of bowl. Turn dough over in bowl so it is covered with oil. (This helps prevent dough from drying out). Cover with plastic and allow to rise in warm place until double in size, about 45 minutes.
Scrape dough out onto floured board. Shape as desired. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and allow to rise until double in size, about 1 to 1 ½ hours. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until light to medium golden brown. Brush tops of rolls with melted butter. Makes 2 dozen rolls.
Helpful Tips for Making Rolls
Always add flour gradually and keep dough as soft as you can handle. A soft dough will produce a lighter roll.
It is not necessary to use the entire amount of flour called for in the recipe—add only enough flour to make dough manageable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails