Sunday, January 10, 2010

Slow cooked sweet and sour pork

This is a recipe I found in the Taste of Home Slow cooker recipe book. The first day we ate it I thought the Paprika was a little strong, but when I had it for left overs, I thought it was great. I wish I would have written down what I did the day I made it because I 1 1/3 - 1 2/3 timesed the recipe. Hopefully I'll remember ok. I'll just write the originally recipe amounts, then put what I think or know I used next to it. The recipe was quite good. The pork was nice and tender.


Ingredients
  • 2 Tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika (I used 3 Tablespoons)
  • 1 1/2 pounds pork loin cut into 1 inch cubes. (I used about 2 1/2)
  • 1 Tablespoon canola oil. (I just poured some - maybe a Tablespoon, maybe a tiny bit more.)
  • 1 20 oz can pineapple chunks (I used a 20 oz and an 8 oz can)
  • 1 medium onion - I used 2 small
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar (I used 1/3)
  • 3 Tablespoons brown sugar (I used 1/4 cup)
  • 3 Tablespoons soy sauce (I used 1/4 cup)
  • 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (I used 1 Tablespoon and 1 teaspoon)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (I left this out - the recipe called for reduced sodium soy sauce. I had regular and figured it was salty enough from the soy sauce.)
  • 2 Tablespoons corn starch (I used 3 Tablespoons)
  • 1/4 cup water (I used 1/3 cup)
Directions:
  1. Place paprika in a large resealable plastic bag. Add pork a few pieces at a time and shake to coat. (I added most of the pork because it seemed like with just a few pieces they were getting way too much paprika. If you only used the amount listed, I think that you could put it all in the pork in the bag at once.) In a nonstick skillet, brown pork in oil in batches over medium-high heat. (I also only did 2 batches with the extra meat that I used.) Transfer to slow cooker.
  2. Drain pineapple juice into the slow cooker. Refrigerate the pineapple. Add onion, green pepper, vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and salt to slow cooker. Mix well Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
  3. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into pork mixture. Add pineapple. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until sauce is thickened.
  4. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails