Monday, January 11, 2010

Vegetable-beef-barley soup

This recipe is from an old magazine - pillsbury I think, but the cover is now missing. I doubled the recipe, added more veggies, and used regular barley (original called for quick cook.) I didn't mind cooking it for 3 times as long because I wanted the veggies to be more tender anyway. I was afraid it would need more flavor - almost added some spices, but it was fine without them. DH added Hot pepper sauce, but he regularly does that to soup. This is the way I made it.



Ingredients
  • 1 pound ground beef (I used pre-cooked)
  • 2 14.5 oz cans stewed tomatoes
  • 2 14 oz. beef broth
  • 2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
  • 1 bag (1 lb) frozen mixed vegetables
  • 2/3 cup barley
Directions
  1. cook and drain ground beef unless using pre-cooked - then thaw for 2 minutes and put in saucepan.
  2. Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 40-50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until veggies and barley are tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails