Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Confetti Chili

Here I am posting while dinner cooks again so I can remember what I did to change it up. This recipe came from recipe girl, but I didn't want to use a chipolte because the ones I had were super spicy for some reason, so no one would want dinner tonight. Since I'd like my kids to eat, I cut out the chipolte, upped the cumin, added chili powder... I also didn't want this to take over an hour, so I adapted it to take only 30 minutes. I did totally forget to take a picture, and I forgot to add the corn at the end. Oops. It looked like any number of things. In fact, it looked like the previous post so much in pictures that I didn't make it for a few days not wanting to repeat myself. It tasted plenty different though. I was really pleased with the flavor considering all of the flavor changes I made. I really liked it. I served it with some corn bread, but it didn't get done until after we were done eating.


Ingredients
  • ½ Tbs olive oil
  • 1 small onion, diced (1 cup) (I used 1/2 a medium)
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded & diced (1 cup)
  • 1 medium carrot, diced (½ cup)- I used 2 rather small
  • 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 lb lean ground beef (I usually use sirloin because it is lean and has a good flavor.)
  • One 28oz. can crushed tomatoes, with their juices
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 15.5oz. can black beans
  • 1 15.5oz. can kidney beans
  • 1½ cups frozen corn kernels
  • salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

1. I diced all my veggies in the food processor, so they were tiny pieces. Heat oil in large pot over Saute onion, bell pepper and carrot for 5 minutes. Add cumin and coriander and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add ground beef - I used pre-cooked, so defrosted it while veggies were sauteing, then added it and went right on. If not using pre-cooked, you would cook it now. Stir in tomatoes, chili powder, oregano and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.

2.Stir in the corn and cook until heated through. Season with salt & pepper and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails