Tuesday, January 5, 2010

blueberry croissant french toast

This one really surprised me. I thought it was going to taste horrible. I'm not the hugest fan of croissants- they usually seem dry and/or greasy - yes I know those are opposites. Then when I made these, I burned one side of all of them. Strangely the side of the pan that the first side burned on did well on the second side, and the other side of the pan decided to burn. I couldn't believe my bad luck. Usually if one side of the pan is cooking hot it is because it is more over the flame or something. Who knows how the hot side of the pan decided to change mid cooking but I managed to burn one side of every single one of the croissants. I also thought they looked like they were going to be too doughy or wet in the middle, but they were just right and delicious. This recipe comes from my new Food Nanny rescues dinner book. I think with my books I'm going to post a few recipes here, but then just start posting myself a picture, rating, and page number so I don't have to type the whole recipe in, and so I'm not breaking major copyright laws. :) But I can still look for something everyone loved, and see a picture to remind myself what it looked like. This is only my second recipe from this book and the first one I changed a ton. This one is NOT healthy by any means, but it was surprisingly delicious.

Another picture I'm not super happy with. It is so shiny from the light coming in the window. Oh well, at least you can't see the burned part through the blueberries.



Ingredients
  • 2 cups frozen blueberries
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 8 small croissants, sliced lengthwise
  • 3 Tablespoons butter, divided
  • 1 Tablespoon canola oil
  • 3 heaping Tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
Directions
  1. Put the blueberries on a paper towel to thaw. (They don't need to thaw completely.)
  2. In a shallow dish or pie plate, beat eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt until blended. Place both halves of one croissant into the egg mix and soak them without over saturating (about 1 minute.) OK, changing these directions a bit - I managed to put 3 to 4 croissants into the batter at a time. I took one half off, added my 2 tablespoons (1/8 cup) blueberries, put the other 1/2 on, and pushed down a bit. That squoze out a bit of egg mix, and also covered the blueberries in the middle. Then I'd add another croissant and work on the one that had been sitting in the egg mix. I sat my dipped croissants in the box they came in.
  3. Preheat oven to 200
  4. Heat 1 tablesppon of the butter and the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the butter begins to bubble, add the filled croissants and pour any remaining batter over them if desired. (I didn't have much remaining batter.) Cook until brown 4 to 6 minutes -be careful not to burn - I didn't do so well with mine. Turn and cook the other side. Continue turning as necessary until there is no egg mix leaking.
  5. Transfer the croissants to a large clean dish and put in the oven to keep warm while making sauce.
  6. In the same pan, melt remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add brown sugar and let mix foam. Add syrup and remaining blueberries. Simmer about 4 minutes. Serve croissants with sauce.

1 comment:

  1. Betturkey giriş adresine buradan ulaşabilirsiniz.
    betturkey giriş

    2TTZ

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails