Saturday, January 23, 2010

Layered Enchilada Casserole

This is a recipe from Saving Dinner. It has to be the vaguest recipe I have ever tried to follow. It just said 1 can of tomato sauce, 1 can diced green chilies etc. No mention of the size of tomato sauce. I had a tiny can and a super large can. I actually planned on adding 1/2 of the large can to equal 1 medium can, but ended up adding the whole thing. I also added some extra spices. It definitely needed them. I think that next time I would add even more cumin (not in the original recipe) and maybe some more onion - possibly even the larger can of green chilies. So, here is the recipe with more detail, and changed to the way I made it. It was delicious, and easy. Can't beat that.



Ingredients
  • 1 pound ground beef - I used my precooked ground sirloin - 1 package
  • 1 cup oats
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 2.5 oz can sliced black olives
  • 1 29 oz can tomato sauce
  • 1 teaspoon cumin (add more possibly add a bit of taco sauce or chili powder as well)
  • 1/2 teaspoon corriander
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup Ricotta cheese
  • 1 4 oz can diced green chilies (wouldn't be bad with the 7 oz can if not adding taco sauce or chili powder)
  • 1 bag baked tortilla chips
  • 1 cup low fat cheddar cheese - I'm pretty sure I used more - maybe even double this. I just covered the top.

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Fry up hamburger (or defrost if using pre-cooked and put into a frying pan.) Add oats and stir well to incorporate. Add garlic powder, cumin, corriander, olives, and tomato sauce. Simmer while making sour cream mixture.
  2. Mix sour cream, Ricotta cheese and green chilies.
  3. Crush tortilla chips and place 1/2 of them on the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish (I'd us a 9X13 next time. I had to leave out some chips because it wasn't going to all fit, and it was to the very top.) Add half the meat mixture, then half the sour cream mixture, then cheese (here I just covered the top with cheese - both times. I didn't measure.) Repeat the layers. Bake uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails