Saturday, February 5, 2011

Chicken and Pear bundles

This recipe is from my Taste of home simple and delicious magazine.    It was delicious.  I loved the combination of flavors.  I'd never even tried smoked mozzarella before and it was wonderful.  Definitely worth picking up again.    I'm writing it as I made it.  I did not change much - just made more bundles.
These were a bit juicy on the bottom and the bread ended up a tad more moist than I like, but that would be my only criticism.  Not sure if you could change that by the type of bread or what - they are going to be juicy with the pear and cheese, but that is what makes them tasty.  Just wish it didn't make the bread as soggy.

Ingredients

  • 1.5 lbs chicken breast (I had 3 rather large ones which I cut in half to make 6 pieces.)
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
  • 6 slices smoked mozzarella cheese (or more :)
  • 2 large bosc pears, thinly sliced
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup raspberry preserves
  • 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
 Directions

  1. Flatten chicken breasts evenly.  (I didn't pound them or anything, I just flattened them out, and cut them in half to make even sized pieces.)  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  2. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry sheet into a 14" square.  Cut into 4 squares.  Place chicken breast in the center of each square;  top each with a slice of cheese and a couple of pear slices.
  3. Lightly brush pastry edges with egg.  OK, the directions say to bring opposite corners together and pinch to seal, but mine didn't exactly reach over all of that stuff especially if it was a strange shaped chicken breast.  I just started at one end and brought up a piece at a time in a circle - Ended up a bit like a spiral in the middle on the bottom.  I had no problem with any not having enough dough, and I had brushed the entire edge with the egg, so I had no problem with them sticking together.
  4. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet;  brush with egg.  Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and a meat thermometer reads 160.  
  5. Combine preserves and vinegar in a microwave safe bowl.  Microwave uncovered on high for 20-25 seconds or until melted.  Serve with bundles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails