Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lime Zucchini Muffins

In my attempts to get some form of veggies into my picky 2 year old, I've been trying various things - green smoothies, purees, and things like zucchini breads.  The day I made these for breakfast I also made some zucchini blueberry bread (since I was already shredding zucchini.)  He actually did eat a bit of these.  Not much though, but more than the bread.  I think on the bread he didn't like the blueberries more than he noticed the zucchini.  But, that is beside the point -  My real surprise on these muffins was that DH really liked them - I think more than I did.  I honestly didn't even expect him to try these.  I mean the zucchini isn't even hidden, but he did, and he liked them - told me "I can't stop eating these."  So I guess I'll have to make them again.
The recipe is from recipe shoebox.  I love that site.  Awesome recipes.  I made them exactly as written there, although next time I will probably sub out applesauce for at least part of the butter.  I also didn't have the right almonds.  I put some sliced ones on a few muffins and left some plain for my anti nut children.


The ingredients: 


  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1-2 tsp. lime or lemon zest
  • 2 Tbs. lime or lemon juice
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini

TOPPING:

  • 1 Tbs. sugar
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds, slightly crushed
Directions:

  1. Cream butter and sugar.  Beat in eggs, zest, and juice.  Stir in dry ingredients, then zucchini. 
  2. Spoon into well-greased or paper lined muffin cups.  Sprinkle with sugar, then almonds.  
  3. Bake at 325° for 18-20 minutes.  Makes about 15 muffins.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails